Sunday 6 April 2014

Whoops, March went by quickly!

Boy, did March speed on by! We finished off Term 1 and I'm now on two weeks of holidays - fantastic. I thought I'd play catch-up by doing a Currently, Five for Friday and general update type of post all at the same time. And on my To Do list for these holidays is to post a bit more and maybe start a Facebook page to go with this blog. I'm heaps better at posting to Instagram than I am posting on the Blog, so if you like some of the stuff I put on the blog then you should also follow me on Instagram!

Currently - linked up with Farley from Oh' Boy 4th Grade

 My neighbours are quite close to me and today I can hear them banging around in the kitchen as they cook something that smells delicious - jealous!
I'm an Australian teacher, so we have just finished Term 1, and now have two weeks of holidays!
One of my best girlfriends, who I've been friends with for fourteen years, lives in the UK at the moment and she sent me a very sweet parcel this week. I miss her.
I have heaps on my holiday To Do list, including things related to work, home and blogging/TpT.
New week grocery shop needs to happen soon - the fridge/cupboard are very bare.
These are my work hours generally. The kids come 9-3.30pm. We finish up on the Friday before Christmas.

http://doodlebugsteaching.blogspot.com.au/

-one-
To celebrate the Very Hungry Caterpillars 45th Anniversary, I organised for a whole school art project at a lunchtime event, giving all students and teachers the opportunity to add a piece of artwork to a canvas. My mum stenciled the Very Hungry Caterpillar across eight canvases, then the school used Posca paint textas to add something that you would find in the garden with a caterpillar. Here is our final piece!!
-two-
When we learned the letter Oo a couple of weeks ago my students made this awesome Ocean mural.
-three-
I had a student teacher for the past two weeks. He was the first student teacher I've had who actually had to teach. And it was eye-opening and awesome for me! It really made me reflect on what I do, how I do it and why I do it. I had to coach him in behaviour management and lesson planning, which really made my think about how I do it. I also learned a lot about my class by being able to just watch them doing their work, while someone else managed the activity. I was really careful to give my student teacher lots of space to teach and manage the class. I remember that it was often frustrating when the supervising teacher stepped in over and over again; it felt like they didn't trust you. So I sat at my desk, kept an eye on things, and got some assessment done. Win win!

-four-
I finished reading Veronica Roth's Divergent series last week - love it!! Now I'm reading Markus Zusak's The Book Thief. I haven't seen the movie yet, so I thought I'd read the book during my holidays, then see the movie when it's available. I'm really enjoying the book so far.

-five-
The last week of term was a bit strange this year because Easter falls on the last weekend of our holidays, so it felt weird doing Easter activities knowing that Easter was still two weeks away. But we did a little bit anyway. My school had an Easter Had Parade (love the effort our families put into it!!) and on the last day my class spent two hours working on an Easter Booklet of fun activities (just things I found online). It was a nice way to wind down on the last day of term.

Phew, this is a big post!! I'm planning to post a few things about my classroom/teaching etc. It's nice to share what you do in the classroom with other people.



6 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog Jemima! I love to find other Aussie blogs. How nice for you to be on holidays, we still have two weeks to go, ugh!
    I'm now following you and look forward to your posts.

    Tania
    Mrs Poultney's Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania! I hope the last two weeks of your holidays go quickly.

      Delete
  2. A two week holiday sounds amazing. Only one week left until I wake up at the beach for our spring break vacation! Best part, only have to be in school 3 days...downfall...I have to spend the two days out of work moving! Excited to move, but hate the actually moving part! Have a wonderful holiday!

    Lindsay
    If You Give a Teacher a Treat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the move! I love living in a new place, but I hate the packing and unpacking that goes with it!

      Delete
  3. Two weeks of holidays sounds so great! Do you get two weeks between each term? I'd take a shorter summer break for two week holidays every so often. I never really thought about how countries in the southern hemisphere probably have different school years than schools in the northern hemisphere because of different season timings. When do you start each year? Have a nice break!

    Kristin
    Teaching In A Nutshell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, we get two weeks between each term, and then 6 weeks between the end of the year and the start of a new year. It is great having regular holidays - you can catch up on heaps and really get prepared for the new term, I'm very grateful for them. We start our new school year at the end of January, and finish just in time for Christmas. So our school year runs with the calendar year. I am so curious about the different ways schools run. Like how a lot of US schools start super early in the day!! Our kids start at 9am and go home at 3.30pm.

      Delete