Sunday 13 July 2014

Back to school

Term 3 starts tomorrow. I have had 20 days off! The extra four days were the ones I took off to have my wisdom teeth removed. It's a big chunk of time, and if I'm totally honest, I've got those 'first day of term' butterflies in my tummy. I'm organised and planned for the day, I've been into my classroom to make sure it's tidy, but that first day back when you have to get back into the swing of it is always a bit strange.


This term I've got quite a bit planned already. My class has two excursions (one for a gymnastics session and one about science), we have two party days (ABC Party Day for finishing the alphabet and 100th Day Party), my school is celebrating both Science Week and Book Week on the same week in August, and we are also having an Art Exhibition. It's going to be full on! I'm excited about it all.

Curriculum-wise we're knuckling down on reading strategies (I'm going to start using the CAFE Menu strategies as a way to focus my guided reading instruction), try to get my kiddies to write more (even my 'best' writers are only writing 2 sentences and we're now in the second half of the year) and we're going to go nuts on all things measurement this term (think mass, length, capacity, duration). Our science unit (which I'm super excited about) is called Weather in my World and looks to be lots of fun (I haven't taught it before).

This means lots of potential blog posts. I need want to blog more because it's fun. This term I will try to keep it going throughout the term.

I'm also starting a new 'health' goal. I got super slack last term with exercise. So this term my goal (though small and simple) is to go for 4x 30min walks each week. I've decided that if I manage to do it for the entire 10 week term then next school holidays I can go on a holiday that requires an airplane - thinking Western Australia or Tasmania. I've even made a 'Walking Log' to track myself.


So, here we go! Term 3...

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jem,

    I was contemplating using the CAFE menu this term too. My main reason for holding back is not having a display space for it... So slack, I know!!

    I've packed my gym gear for tomorrow afternoon. We are on student free days so I want to get my exercise routine sorted this week before the kids arrive! :)

    Lauren
    Love, Laughter and Learning in Prep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lauren,

      I don't have heaps of display space so I've reduced the number of strategies I'm going to teach. They're only 5/6 years old so they don't need to know all of them yet.

      Go you! Enjoy the gym! What do you do on student free days? Are they PD?

      Delete
  2. The best thing I did last term was redesign my back wall so that it has all of our reference materials, including the CAFE wall and made that our meeting space. But... it did take some commitment and hesitation on my part, I'll confess! CAFE is amazing, and the kids will really jump on board!

    Stef
    Miss Galvin Learns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to take a picture of the giant cupboard in my room because that's where we meet and I've got lots of stuff on the doors (like 100s chart, and our visual timetable, and now my CAFE wall!) and I'd love to see how you redesigned your wall. I'm introducing the first strategy tomorrow - I'm a bit excited!

      Delete
  3. Hey Gem,
    Sounds like you've got a very busy and exciting term ahead of you. We're also holding an Art Exhibition this year, but for the first time! I can't wait for the kids to see their work in frames, they will love it.
    Well done for trying to get fit, it's one of my aims for this term as well. Good luck!
    P.s. super neat whiteboard writing!

    Zoe x
    Oh the Little Wonders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids are funny about having their work displayed. They are all so desperate to take it home that they find it quite stressful attached to the wall, so it will be a bit interesting during the Art Exhibition.

      Delete