Sunday 16 February 2014

Five for Friday (on Sunday...)

I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for the Five for Friday linky!



-one-
This week we learnt the letters Aa and Tt. The kids made Alligator Hats for our Aa craft, and we made old school televisions for our Tt craft. Both of these came from the Alphabet Hats pack by Simply Kinder.

-two-
Each year at school we have a Welcome BBQ, and it was on Thursday night. It was fantastic to mingle with the families who came, and chat in a less formal setting. And, boy, do the kids love running around while eating their sausage in bread!! I had one of my sweet little preppies come up to me at the end and say "I had a fun time!". He didn't want to come to begin with, so this was a pretty big deal.

-three-
The Science team have been exploring some different 'hands-on' ideas for our school's new Science Area. We currently have a touch tank that is full on sand and shells which the kids can look at and touch. On Friday we were testing out those vase water balls. You put tiny bead-like things in water, they absorb the water, they you can keep flowers hydrated in a vase while looking pretty. We were just exploring them because they are a polymer and polymers are endlessly fascinating to kids. After school on Friday a few of us were enjoying the therapeutic benefits of running yours hands through a bowl of these balls:

-four-
I've put two new products up on Teachers Pay Teachers (check my last two blog posts for details and links).

-five-
I started Fine Motor Skills groups this week. They were AMAZING!! It is the quietest I've had my class while doing an activity at their tables. They were totally engrossed in their tasks. There were four tasks:
  1. Free play with construction blocks
  2. Threading beads onto string
  3. Sorting out 30 random items (eg. plastic dinosaurs, screws, marbles, pompoms, shiny beads)
  4. Weaving straws through a basket
Can't wait to do more next week!!

Week 4 here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment